The Herald of Randolph
P.O. Box 309, Randolph, Vermont
FAX (802) 728-9275
E Mail: editor@OurHerald.com
Web Site: www.ourherald.com
History of the Herald of Randolph
The Herald's philosophy is to depict the lives of Central Vermont's wonderfully varied people, to celebrate with them their triumphs and successes and to carefully point out where improvements could be made. Would you like to feel connected to small town life in Central Vermont? Log on to Our Herald.com or better yet, subscribe to The Herald, using the link on this web page.
The Herald began its regional focus in 1874 when the Randolph Herald printed editions for the White River Valley towns. This is the date that we consider to be the foundng of The Herald. The newspaper was purchased by L.B. Johnson in 1894, and our current offices were built in 1899. In 1941 Johnson changed the name to The White River Valley Herald.
John Drysdale bought the paper in 1945 and continued its regional emphasis and independent viewpoint. In 1960 he introduced the offset printing method to The Herald making it the first newspaper in Vermont to do so.
Circulation is 6000 copies weekly, including saturation coverage of central and western Orange County and northern Windsor County.
The publisher of The Herald
for the 51 years from 1894 to 1945 was L. B. Johnson, at left. In
1945, when this photograph was taken, leadership passed to John
Drysdale, who was publisher until 1971.
Published weekly on Thursdays
Subscriptions: one year $29 in Vt. & N.H., $34 elsewhere. Six months $19 everywhere, three months $11 everywhere
Single copy price 75
Subscription sales are 54%, single copy newsstand sales, 46%
Areas of Circulation (% of total): Addison County 2%, Orange County 43%, Rutland County 2%, Washington County 2%, Windsor County 32%, Other Vermont Counties 3%.
Vermont towns reached by County: Addison:
Hancock, Granville; Orange: Brookfield, Chelsea, Post Mills, Randolph,
Strafford, Thetford, Tunbridge, Williamstown; Rutland: Pittsfield; Washington:
Barre, Montpelier, Northfield, Roxbury; Windsor:
Typesetters create The
Herald one letter at a time in this superb old photograph taken in
1899 just after the building was built.